The importance of the Synagogue of Tomar arises from the fact that it is the only Hebraic temple from the Proto-Renaissance in Portugal. The quadrangular floorplan and the vaulted ceiling based on columns and corbels embedded on the walls refer to eastern influences.

The Synagogue was built in the 15th century and closed in 1496 upon the expulsion of the Jews from the country. Afterwards it had various functions. It was initially used as a prison, but in the 17th century is referenced as S. Bartolomeu Chapel. In the 19th century, it was used as a haystack, barn and grocery warehouse and storage. In 1921, its lost dignity was restored, when it was considered a National Monument. 

Samuel Schwarz, polish Jew and Hebrew culture researcher, bought it in 1923 and saved it from the chaotic state it was in. Later, he donated it to the Portuguese state with the promise that it was to house the Abraão Zacuto Luso-Hebrew Museum.

The first reference to the existence of a Jewish community in Tomar dates back to 1315. Their contribution was extremely important for the growing of the city from the 14th to the 16th centuries. The Prince D. Henrique promoted their settlement at the Judiaria Street (currently known as Joaquim Jacinto Street).     

Discover on the Synagogue’s walls the twelve corbels which symbolise the twelve tribes of Israel, and the four columns which represent the four matriarchs (Sara, Rebeca, Léa and Raquel). 


Other information:

Unauthorised pictures are not allowed;

Bags and bulky objects must be left at the entrance;

It is not allowed to eat or drink inside;

Animals are not allowed inside.



Rua Dr. Joaquim Jacinto n. º 73, 2300-577 Tomar

GPS coordinates:

39°36'11.9"N / 8°24'48.9"W


Phone number: + 351 249 329 823

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


Opening hours:

Winter (October to April) – 10:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 18:00

Summer (May to September) – 10:00 to 13:00 and 15:00 to 19:00

Closes on public holidays: 1 January, 1st of May and 25 December.

Free admission.